Park Tool School Advanced Four-Day Course
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Courses & Covid-19 Measures October 2021
Update on Courses & Maintenance Training during Covid-19 December 2021
With the latest increase in government measures to tackle Omicron we have reviewed our meaures for courses. We have consistently taken a cautious approach throughout the pandemic and so there are only minor changes, with full details below. As a small organisation both the health & safety of everyone and ensuring operational capacity are fundamental to our business. Please read carefully and note these are subject to review. Please re-read immediately prior to your course:
Self-Isolation & Measure
Participants should follow government guidance and not attend if required to self-isolate. This includes experiencing any key symptoms of Covid-19, testing positive for Covid-19 (either PCR or lateral flow), living with someone with symptoms or a positive test or being asked by Track & Trace. Please see the NHS website for full details and exceptions to self-isolation.
If your circumstances change midcourse please inform us asap and prior to continuing the course. If you are required to self isolate we will defer your place to a future date.
- Facecoverings must be worn when moving about the building at all times for all staff and course participants.
- Facecovering must be worn in the Training Workshop at all times.
- Windows in our teaching workshop will be opened to allow airflow and ventilation. While we will heat the room participants should bring warm clothes in the winter months.
- Alcohol gel and spray is provided throughout the building and participants will have their own work bench.
If you have any questions please contact us to discuss.
With dedicated training workshop and years of experience teaching cycle maintenance we’re pleased to annouce our new flagship four-day Park Tools School Advanced course.
The PTS Advanced Course is conducted in line with the Park Tool School syllabus. The course is aimed at both anyone required to maintain bikes for schools, clubs, businesses and other organisations, and keen home mechanics who wish to have an in depth knowledge of their bikes.
The course runs over four days and teaches you how to strip and rebuild a bike, taking you through all the key systems of typical bikes.
The course follows the Park Tool Big Blue Book of Maintenance and demonstration of competence/understanding throughout completion leads to the award of a certificate. A copy of the book is included in the course fee. You are encouraged to work on your own bike (this must be of the relevant standard, please enquire before the course as to suitability if unsure) and there are also a number of loaner bikes to work on to introduce you to other designs and systems.
The syllabus takes the participant through the wide range of systems seen on a variety of bicycle designs and specifications. Over four days you will cover a range of bicycle systems, working on your own bike and/or a number of different classroom bikes. Content includes:
- Health & safety and Workshop Practice with PPE and tool use
- Tyres and tubes, including covering Tubeless tyre systems and installation
- Rear Sprockets, including fitting, cleaning and inspection of cassettes and freewheels
- Hubs, including servicing of cup & cone and sealed systems
- Wheel Truing
- Cranksets and Bottom Brackets, including range of types (both threaded & pressfit), removal and installation, and chainring replacement
- Chains, including removal and installation, chain wear and sizing
- Derailleur Gear Systems, covering all aspects including full installation, setup and adjustment
- Caliper Rim Brake Systems, including disassembly and reassembly of various systems
- Caliper Disc Brake Systems, covering Mechanical and Hydraulic (with a demonstration of hydraulic disc bleeding and covering best practice), also rotors, pad wear & pad replacment
- Handlebars, Stems, Saddles and Seatposts
- Headsets, including servicing and cup removal and installation
- Frame and Forks, including checking alignment and frameset damage
The course costs £600 inc VAT. This includes all tools, equipment required and a copy of the Park Tool Big Blue Book of Cycle Maintenance to keep afterwards.
Refunds for courses are only given under exceptional circumstamces and never within 7 days of the advertised course. In the unlikely event we have to make the difficult decision to cancel a course, participants will be offered a refund or the option to reschedule. Please read our terms and conditions for full details.
Course participants must be 18 years old or above. We can occasionally accommodate younger participants 16+, and we accept these on a case by case basis, based on their prior experience. Anyone under 18 years must be accompanied by a full fee-paying adult also attending the course. Agreement from ourselves must be given in writing prior to booking. Please contact us to discuss
There are no formal requirements for attending our PTS Advanced course. However, due to the fast pace and variety of topics covered, familiarity with bikes and some basic previous experience or experimentation is recommended to be able to get the most out of the time. This may include having played with your brakes or gears or some basic adjustments and/or some knowledge of terminology. Alternatively, other mechanical experience such as mending cars or engines would be suitable. If you are unsure about whether the course is right for you please give us a call and speak to our head mechanic or drop us an email. We’d love to chat more about the course.
Course Timings, Assessment, Location & Travel
Courses run 9am-4pm over four days. Participants are assessed throughout the course, rather than by final assessment. Courses take place in our dedicated Training Workhop at our offices in Cambridge. See our website for finding us. We have an abundance of bikes racks, and we are close to Cambridge North Station. There is also limited parking on site on a first-come-first-served basis and we are close to parking at Cambridge North Station. There is some limited on-road parking (at owners risk).
If you have any further questions, please do please get in touch to discuss. For more information, please read our Terms & Conditions.
Book a course today
If there are no course spaces available or the dates don't work for you then please sign up to our waiting list