Our one-day Park Tool School Basic: Ride with Confidence Course is perfect for anyone looking to learn how to address common issues while out riding. It is suitable for people with little to no knowledge of bike maintenance.
This course is intended to ensure that participants leave at the end of the day with the confidence to fix common problems with their bikes.
The maximum group size is 7. Our fully trained mechanic will be on hand to answer questions as they come up, and there is plenty of opportunity for practice.
This course is fully endorsed by the Bikeabillity Trust for mechanic certification! For those participants seeking a Bikeability accreditation, there will be an assessment after the training. Please note for all other participants there is no assessment.
- Basic Mechanical Skills – tools, stands, home shop set-up, tension & torquing bolts, lubrication, threadlockers & cleaners, health & safety
- Safety “M” check
- Tyres, tube & puncture repair (innertube replacement), with wheel removal and installation
- Looking after your drivetrain: lubrication, cleaning and wear of chains, rear sprockets and chainrings
- Disc brake systems – differences of cable vs hydraulic, rotors, basics of brake alignment, pad replacement
- Caliper rim brake adjustment and pad replacement for v-brake, dual pivot road caliper and cantilever
- Field repairs – what tools to take and tips & tricks to get you home!
Please note that we will be concentrating on standard derailleur geared bikes. If you have a bike with hub brakes and hub gears you may find some parts of this course less relevant to your bike, though most things are transferable.
If you have any questions or worries, please ask.
The course costs £96 per person and includes:
- All tools and equipment
- A bicycle for you to work on if required (although we encourage you to bring your own where possible)
Participants taking the course for a Bikeability accreditation will have an additional £20 fee for assessment and administration. When booking please tick the box in ‘Section 1: Choose Appointment’ to add this to your order.
Please choose a course date below and fill out the form, you’ll then be able to pay online and further instructions for the course will be emailed to you.
Refunds for courses are only given under exceptional circumstamces and never within 7 days of the advertised course. If we cancel the course for any reason a full refund will be given and a choice of alternative dates offered. If you have any further questions, do please get in touch.
Finally, if you’re a Cambridge Cycling Campaign Member, we offer a 15% discount to support the good work that they do. Please get in touch for further details.
Assessment For Bikeability Instructors
The Bikeability assessment will include:
- Conduct an “M” check
- Check and correct tyre pressure
- Check and correct loose wheels, handlebars, or other parts
- Correct saddle orientation
- Identify poor braking and correct pad placement and cable tension
- Checking and correcting bike fit, including saddle and handlebar height, and brake/shift lever orientation
Course participants must be 18 years or above. We do welcome younger participants 16+ but we accept these on a case by case basis based on their prior experience. Please contact us to discuss prior to booking.
Our scheduled courses are run at our training workshop in Cambridge. If you have any further questions, do please get in touch. For more information, please read our Terms & Conditions.
Book a course below
If there are no course spaces available or the dates don't work for you then please sign up to our waiting list