IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Courses during Covid-19 Pandemic
Courses & Maintenance Training during Covid-19
UPDATE 5th January 2021: With the annoucement of the new national lockdown we have taken the difficult decision to postpone/cancel any courses taking place while we are in lockdown. We will be taking a decision on how far ahead to cancel/postpone once further info comes to light.
At Outspoken Cycles we take the health and safety of our staff and customers extremely seriously. In order to make sure courses and any teaching is as safe as possible, while maintaining our high levels of quality, we have made some changes to the ways we run the sessions, as well as implementing various health and safety measures.
We continue to monitor the situation with Covid-19 closely and we are following the regulations from the government.
Below are the measures we have put in place.
Travel to our Courses if you live in Tier 3 & 4
Participants must follow government guidance on travel in relation to their current Tier where they live. Eg if you are in Tier 3 or 4 you must not travel to our course and must notify us as soon as possible about your booking.
If you are booked onto one of our courses as part of workplace training (paid for by your workplace) and you live in a Tier that has travel restrictions please contact us as soon as possible to discuss options for your booking.
Postponed Courses if Cambridge goes into Tier 3 & 4 or there is a lockdown
At the time of writing (12 noon 23 December 2020), we have taken the difficult decision that if Cambridge goes into Tier 3 or 4 (or we go into lockdown) we will postpone any courses scheduled to take place while in these Tiers. If this is the case, we will be in touch asap to discuss options with you.
Preventing the Spread of Covid-19
Participants should not attend any of our courses if they or anyone in their household have experienced any of the symptoms associated with Covid-19 14 days prior to the start date of the course, or if they have been asked to self-isolate as part of the Track and Trace programme.
If you experience any of the symptoms during your time on the course please inform your instructor immediately and you will be asked to leave the course.
NHS UK website has listed the main symptoms of coronavirus as:
- high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
If you are required to self isolate or develop symptoms and therefore cannot attend the course we will defer your place to a future date.
General building measures
Outspoken Cycles training workshop and offices have been adapted in various ways to allow for social distancing and to keep everyone safe
- All general tools, equipment and shared areas are cleaned before the start of any course.
- Hand cleaning areas are stationed strategically around the building
- All staff and visitors are required to wash their hands as soon as they arrive onsite and wear facecoverings when moving around the building
- Staff are working from home where possible to reduce numbers on site and we have strict procedures for those visiting our shop and workshop
- We are disinfecting digital devices, door handles and key equipment such as phones on a daily basis.
- We have limited the number of participants on all of our courses to help maintain social distancing.
Tools, Equipment and Workshop
- Each participant will have their own workstation with their own set of standard tools to use throughout a course
- Each workstation will have a supply of isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle for individual cleaning of workstations, tools and bikes, throughout the day and thoroughly at the end of each day
- All tools stations will be cleaned down between uses
- Any bikes or equipment that is shared will be cleaned between participants
- Gloves will be required to be worn by participant and staff in all sessions, we will provide these
- As of 1 December all course participants will be required to wear a facecovering throughout their time on site in our building, including during the course.
- As of 1 December our mechanic instructors will wear a facecovering during all teaching.
- Two windows in our teaching workshop will be opened to allow airflow and ventilation. While we will heat the room participants should bring warm clothes in the winter months.
We have adapted our teaching methods where necessary and possible to allow for social distancing.
Velotech Gold is aimed at people who are required to inspect and maintain bikes for a bike shop, school, club, business or other organisation. It is also perfect for individuals, either professionals or keen amateurs wanting to gain a full understanding of bike maintenance. Velotech is recognized by the trade such as the Bicycle Association of Great Britain as one of the leading standards in professional bike mechanics. The course runs over four days and teaches you how to strip and rebuild a bike from scratch, taking you through all the bike’s different systems in the process.
The syllabus requires participants to familiarize themselves with a wide range of systems to accommodate a variety of bicycle designs and specifications. Over four days you will learn how to strip and rebuild the majority of bicycle systems. Content includes:
- Frame inspection
- Fitting, setting up, and adjusting cable brake systems (V-brake, road, and disc)
- Fitting, setting up, and adjusting front and rear derailleurs
- Removing cassettes, freehubs, and freewheels
- Wheel hub strip and clean
- Truing a wheel
- Stripping and servicing headsets
- Replacing chains
- Removing and replacing adjustable, cartridge, and external bottom brackets
- Pre-delivery inspection
The course costs £500 inc VAT (£416.67 ex VAT) and includes all tools and equipment
To book on a course, have a look at available dates below. Once you’ve submitted the online form, you’ll receive an email with further instructions for the course. Refunds for courses are only given under exceptional circumstamces and never within 7 days of the advertised course. If we cancel the course for any reason a full refund will be given and a choice of alternative dates offered.
Course participants must be 18 years or above. We do welcome younger participants 16+ but we accept these on a case by case basis based on their prior experience. Please contact us to discuss prior to booking.
There are no formal requirements for attending our Velotech Gold course. However, familiarity with bikes and some basic previous experience or experimentation is recommended to be able to get the most out of the time. This may include having played with your brakes or gears or some basic adjustments and/or some knowledge of terminology. Alternatively, other mechanical experience such as mending cars or engines would be suitable. If you are unsure about whether the course is right for you please gives us a call and speak to our head mechanic or drop us an email. We’d love to chat more about the course.
Our scheduled courses are run at our training workshop in Cambridge. If you have any further questions, do please get in touch. For more information, please read our Terms & Conditions.
“Excellent course – time well spent. Learnt a lot from the instructor and the other trainees! It has given me the confidence to do much more for myself, especially on bearings and wheels. Thanks to all.” Velotech Gold Participant, Oct 15
– Velotech Gold Participant, Oct 15
The fantastic team taught me more than I have ever dreamt to know in just a few days; knowledgeable, friendly, patient, supportive, they made me feel confident enough on day 1 and I left with a huge sense of achievement. I can only recommend Outspoken. They are great!”
– Velotech Gold Particpant, Jan 15
Book a course today
If there are no course spaces available or the dates don't work for you then please sign up to our waiting list